Valuable Items Insurance

Valuable Items Insurance

When you need to protect your most precious items...

A standard home insurance policy, which covers your personal property, has limits on how much it will pay for certain items, such as furs, jewelry, collectibles, and fine art.

For example, a standard policy pays out up to $1,000 for jewelry, furs, electronic apparatus and accessories and up to $2,500 for gold and silverware.

These limits vary by insurance company. To protect more expensive valuables, you’ll have to buy additional coverage in the form of a rider or a stand-alone valuable items policy called a Personal Articles Floater or PAF. Deciding which type of insurance you need to purchase depends on the type of items you wish to insure as well as their value.

Contact us today for more information about Valuable Items Insurance or fill out our online quote form.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What steps do I need to take to properly insure and protect my valuables?


  • Be sure to tell your agent about any particularly valuable items you want to insure.
  • Keep documentation of your valuables’ worth in a separate location: a safety deposit box, your lawyer’s office, or at the house of a relative.
  • Make sure you understand the limits and exclusions of your policy or rider.
  • For particularly valuable items, or for collections or antiques whose value can be questioned, consider hiring an appraiser. Make sure the appraiser has an impeccable reputation.

Q: If I’m told to get an appraisal, what questions should I ask before I hire an appraiser?


  • Are you accredited by a professional appraisal society? (Three such societies are the Appraisers Association of America, the American Society of Appraisers, and the International Society of Appraisers)
  • How long have you been in the profession?
  • How would you describe your code of ethics?
  • Do you have a particular field of expertise?
  • Have you taken any tests in order to get your accreditation?